There are many types of hot yoga which originated from Bikram Yoga. These include Moksha Yoga, Barkan Method, etc
Ted Grand, a Bikram trained teacher, founded Moksha Hot Yoga in Canada. Moksha Yoga follows similar pricicples, however, has some major differences. In Moksha Yoga, the room is not as hot or humid as Bikram Yoga; it is not a consistant length of time; it doesn't follow a script; it doesn't follow a prescribe series of postures and the training for Moksah Yoga teachers is much shorter than the 9 week training Bikram Yoga teachers are required to attend in order to become a certified Bikram Yoga Teacher.
Moksha Yoga is a form of hot yoga that is ideal for the yoga beginner as well as the seasoned practitioner. Every Moksha Yoga class takes you through a series of strengthening and toning postures in the detoxifying calm of a heated studio. There are Moksha Yoga studios across Canada and abroad.
Jimmy Barkan, creator of the Barkan Method, a hot vinyasa series of postures. The Barkan Method also shares it roots in Bikram Yoga. Jimmy Barkan began as a Bikram Yoga certified teacher before moving on.
The Barkan Method is a style of Hatha Yoga that originated from a lineage in Calcutta, India. The Barkan Method finds its roots from this lineage in Calcutta, but also integrates postures from other styles of Yoga to create variations and even greater range of motion. The yoga classes are practiced in a heated room to stretch and strengthen various areas of the body. The practice brings vital balance and restores all systems to optimal health. Consistency will create a physical, mental and spiritual harmony that will be felt in all areas of the practitioner's life.
Welcome MetaBody Pass Holders
We look forward to seeing you at your first class, here are a few things you need to know:
- 1) You must pre-register for all your MetaBody passes here
- scroll down to "Locations and Schedule" and select
Edmonton from the pull-down menu
- 2) MetaBody passes are valid for weekday, daytime classes ONLY
- you can purchase a regular pass to practice evening and
weekends while you use your MetaBody during the weekdays
- 3) You must be a NEW student to be eligible for the MataBody pass
- Drink plenty of water before class, at least 2 litres
- Bring 1 Litre of water with you to drink in class
We do sell various brand of bottled water at the studios
- Don't eat 2 hours prior to attending class
- Bring 2 bath towels, a yoga mat and a change of clothes
(mats & towels available for rent)
- Arrive 25 minutes early!
- Late arrivals will be denied entry, all classes start on time
- Wear shorts and athletic tops!
- Tops for men optional
- Please do not wear pants, you will get too hot
- Come prepared to work hard and sweat!
Learn more about your first class and the benefits of Bikram Yoga...